I was fortunate to end the summer with one last Liven It Up event. A wedding at the Evanston Women's Club, one last wedding working with the catering staff I have grown to have so much fun with and one last wedding (well for the summer) with my boss that I love so very much. I am really happy I got to do one last event with this specific catering staff because we have had some seriously hilarious/drama filled times this summer. This wedding was really pretty, it was slightly more conventional than we usually do, but the room turned out beautifully and there were no major crises to speak of. It was nice for me because I was basically responsible for the set up of the reception hall, I was able to delegate to the staff where things needed to go, how we were setting the table, where different stations needed to be set and watch everything come together. I also successfully learned to open champagne for the first time, without inuring myself or the ceiling (whoops). There is video documentation of this.... stay tuned! The wedding went smoothly, once again we worked with our bartender friends... haha how I will miss those boys. They are something else. The band at this wedding was also excellent! It was fun to listen to them and see random members of the bridal party come up to sing songs! Things went pretty smoothly and we got things cleaned up and out of there with out much time wasted. How sad... my last wedding as a intern. Tear.
This summer has honestly been life changing for me. I learned so much about myself, what career path I want to go down and explore, what my goals are for the future, and how excited I am to get started. Wedding planning is a tough business, I was fortunate to work under the best there is and watch everything happen up close. I gained so much experience through shadowing around 15 events in one summer! I learned equally as much about the city and how much I love it. I really feel as though I am meant to live here and can not wait to get back here next summer. I would recommend University of Dreams to anyone, but with the advice that the program is completely what you make it. I watched one too many "Dreamers" suffer through a miserable internship but feel that while I was VERY lucky to have gotten the job I did, you can utilize any opportunity you are given. Not to mention, the speakers and the trips we went on were worth it in itself for those who are passionate about moving to chicago. I met great great new friends, where I was also SUPER lucky because many of them go to OU and I can not wait to get back to school and have our Dreamer Shuffle!! I got to celebrate my birthday in style and have every essential chicago experience that I wanted. ( I COULD HAVE DONE WITH OUT THE KAYAKING....just saying)
I figured I should end with a Lessons of the Summer paragraph rather than a list. My internship was fabulous we know. I learned everything I have ever questioned in the business. Every single day a new issue came up and I got to watch it unfold. From what happens if the bride and groom break up, What to do if the guests show up an hour early because that is what was printed on the invite, what to do when your rentals are not picked up on time, who is responsible if you smoke out the kitchen and you are not allowed to have a fan. How many servers does it take to do a simple task. Never..EVER mix poly linens with satin. Alternating shades of beige is a nice idea but really unnecessary. Cupcakes, not cake, And use fake layers. Never forget matches, a wine key, camera, tissues, stain stick, LED lights, and a sewing kit... basically the perfect oh shit bag for weddings. I could probably go on forever, but I don't want to give away all of my secrets.
So, I suppose this is me signing out for the time being. I thank you all for reading and hope that this enabled you to live vicariously through me because I had the coolest summer ever.
I will be back though, Chicago can not get rid of me for long.
love, louella
no like button so ill make one
ReplyDelete[Like]