Sunday, June 21, 2009

Wait, So like A Wedding Planner is like an actual Occupation?


Ah, my first weekend as an aspiring Wedding Planner was jam packed. WOW. There is so much to discuss I don't even know where I should begin. 

Saturday: My first and only traditional wedding of the summer.  I learned that wedding planning is synonymous with personal assistant/bitch for the day. It really pays off in the end, but you may question that in the early stages of the day. It was a long day. We went to the brides house at noon and helped her get ready and get everything together. I have been deemed the groomsmen wrangler, I am a boutonniere master, and seem to work well with the grooms men, who would have guessed lol. So I managed to perfectly pin several boutonnieres and then we got everyone together FINALLY by 3 for pictures. They were honestly one of the most attractive bridal parties I have ever seen. Their pictures are going to be gorgeous. Next, we were off to the church, which up until 30 minutes to the ceremony did not have power, thus no air conditioning, and of course it was the first 87 degree day chicago had seen so the church was sweltering. The three of us, (my boss, fellow intern, and my self) travel in all black, aviators, and a air of fierceness about us. As my boss likes to call it, we are like the sophisticated mean girls, or characters from burn notice. 
Anyway, were a pretty bad ass team. The wedding went well and then we had to corral everyone to the reception site. Which maneuvering in downtown chicago is a nightmare in it's self, most weddings are non traditional and the ceremony and reception take place at the same place. But they all made it to the beautiful opera house where we were on the 60 something floor. CRAZY.  Watching my boss in motion is just fascinating, he is absolutely adored by all of his clients and they really do swoon over him. I guess not everyone gets a wedding planner and it really is a topic of fascination still to some people. He waits on the bridal party and family at hand and foot. There is no task he wouldn't do for them. Its amazing. The reception went beautifully. We headed out around 11 30, it had been a long day already when we climbed into the elevator with a young couple who was feeling good. They commented on our fierceness, in their own words. When we were asked, 
Drunk Girl: "Ohmgod are you like the wedding planner?"
Boss: Yes.
Drunk Girl: Wow, I didnt know that was like a real ocupppation (drunk stutter) Is it a fun job?
Boss: Yeah, here I am.
Mollys thoughts: Stupid stupid girl. You are too trampy for your boyfriend. (**side note)
Boyfriend: Oh my god my ears just popped (**we were on the 60th floor, this happens when you're up this high)
Girlfriend: Babe, just swallow
Boyfriend: Yeah, Thats what I always tell you to do but you always make a mess.
...awkward pause.
Boss: Yeah I hate when that happens
Girlfriend: Shut up ass hole I always swallow.

Elevator opens, thank you God. I love my boss.

Sunday: Sailboat wedding. Fabulous. I won't get into details again. But what a concept. Again on groomsmen duty, less attractive. Again, with my boss being fantastic at what he does. The weather was beautiful and I got to experience the beautiful chicago skyline and a touching wedding ceremony all from a sailboat on the lake, classic.


So what have I learned this weekend you ask, so much.

1. Sometimes wedding planners lie. Its ok.
2. Sailboat "lads" have sexy accents
3. Meagan is never going to be a sailboat event planner
4. If you ever go to evansville IN you may get kicked out of a hotel for being to fabulous
5. Get an iPhone
6. Where Oprah lives... and that I may be stalking the entrance...
7. I will not have bubbles and the end of my wedding
8. If you want to be a "local" call Macy's Marshall Fields and cross the street before the little white man appears.
9. Some bridal parties have scandalous hookups

stay tuned :)



No comments:

Post a Comment